Deadlines and helpful information as Purdue system moves to Brightspace
Since January, faculty and instructors requested to have nearly 10,000 courses moved from Blackboard Learn to the D2L Brightspace learning management system in anticipation of the switch to the new system this August.
On Aug. 24, access to Blackboard Learn will end for West Lafayette and Purdue Northwest courses (Purdue Fort Wayne will have access through the fall semester). All PWL and PNW instructors and faculty who haven’t requested content migration out of the old system must do so by Monday, Aug. 17.
- West Lafayette and Northwest faculty should use this link for instructions on how to migrate course content from Blackboard to Brightspace.
- Although course materials can be migrated from Blackboard, some instructors have found it easier to create new courses within Brightspace. To learn more about how to get started building a new course, West Lafayette and Northwest instructors can follow the instructions found here.
Fort Wayne faculty may use this link to request ITS migration of Blackboard courses, not already converted. For PFW faculty who wish to, alternatively, build Brightspace courses from scratch, please follow various instructions found here on CELT’s Brightspace page.
Teaching and Learning Technologies is hosting virtual drop-in help sessions and consultations to help West Lafayette faculty and instructors prepare to teach this fall. Faculty seeking a one-on-one consultation can contact email@example.com.
Due to the high demand of requests, faculty and instructors are encouraged to attend one of the drop-in help sessions scheduled for this month – attending a session can help answer many of the questions you may have about setting up a course for the fall semester.
Brightspace Drop-in Help Sessions: Sessions are designed for instructors to ask questions and get help in an open-lab environment.
- Brightspace Drop-In Help Sessions| Wednesday, Aug. 12, 9-10 a.m.
- Brightspace Drop-In Help Sessions| Thursday, Aug. 13, 2-3 p.m.
- Brightspace Drop-In Help Sessions| Monday, Aug. 17, 12-1 p.m.
- Brightspace Drop-In Help Sessions| Wednesday, Aug. 19, 9-10 a.m.
- Brightspace Drop-In Help Sessions| Thursday, Aug. 20, 2-3 p.m.
- Brightspace Drop-In Help Sessions| Monday, Aug. 24, 12-1 p.m.
- Brightspace Drop-In Help Sessions| Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2-3 p.m.
- Brightspace Drop-In Help Sessions| Thursday, Aug. 27, 2-3 p.m.
West Lafayette instructors who have questions about training, or need additional resources, please contact Teaching and Learning Technologies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brightspace One-on One CELT Consultations
- Brightspace Open Labs
- Brightspace and Resilient Teaching Workshops and Seminars
- Schedule an appointment
PFW faculty should please use CELT’s Brightspace Resource Page to find handouts and video how-to’s including:
- Copying and Migrating Courses and Content
- Creating Content, including videos
- Building Discussion, Quizzes, and Assignments
- Building and using the Gradebook
- Communication and Engagement in Brightspace
- Getting Started with Brightspace(webinar)
- Using Brightspace Gradebook(webinar)
- Brightspace Quizzes & Surveys(webinar)
- Course Migration from Blackboard to Brightspace(webinar)
- Navigating Through Brightspace(webinar)
- Brightspace Similarities & Differences(webinar)
- Creating Video Assignments(webinar)
- Blackboard vs Brightspace Groups and Discussions(webinar)
PFW technical questions should be directed to the ITS Help Desk (260-481-6030).
PFW teaching-related questions should be directed to CELT (260-481-6354 or email@example.com)
Please reach out as needed. We are here to help.
For upcoming Brightspace training's, visit the PNW Office of Instructional Technology Training Calendar.
For additional resources, visit Northwest's Brightspace resources page.
To stay up-to-date with implementation plans, including specific information for the Purdue Northwest and Purdue Fort Wayne campuses, visit www.purdue.edu/learning-management.
Have questions about the Brightspace? Contact implementation team members at:
- West Lafayette: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fort Wayne: email@example.com (technical help); firstname.lastname@example.org (teaching help)
- Northwest: email@example.com
Last updated: August 10, 2020
- How Purdue's spam filtering works
- Know your BoilerKey, features to help prevent, solve lockouts
- Scammers gonna scam: What you can do to prevent falling for phishing attacks during COVID-19
- Instructors should save student data from Blackboard, as campus transitions to Brightspace
- Faculty member’s advice for Brightspace: Get started now (it'll be worth your time)
- New online proctoring tool offered for summer session